Hotel History | Magoebaskloof
CALL CENTRAL RESERVATIONS HOTLINE - 086 199 1199 CAREERS A MEMBER OF THE
ORION HOTELS GROUP
RESERVATIONS - 086 148 8862  Customer Services

Hotel History

The original Magoebaskloof Hotel was built in 1937, located on Magoebaskloof Road, between Polokwane and Tzaneen in the Haenertsburg region. An unspoilt setting was chosen for the hotel's location with glorious views extending to Duivelskloof, Modjadji and beyond. The hotel was built among indigenous bush and trees. The Magoebaskloof was built by Archie and Eileen Rankin.

In the late "thirties" this area was unestablished and somewhat unknown. Haenertsburg attracted the attention of the general public for its historical significance. On completion of the building, Magoebaskloof Hotel became one of the few country hotels in the Limpopo area.

Cheerio Halt Garden became a local attraction in spring with its blossoming azaleas, cherry trees, rhododendron flowers and many more. The Spring Fair was born in September 1985 and the Dickie Dagge Hall at Magoebaskloof Hotel was offered to host the event on a complimentary basis. In the years that followed the event became an annual occasion.

In 2004 the hotel was destroyed by a fire that started in the kitchen and spread to the adjacent lounge, bar, foyer and bedrooms. From the existing building, the Red Post Box Pub, the Dickie Dagge conference room and the accommodation wing of 30 bedrooms remained intact. With the assistance of management, waiters and other hotel staff the hotel was rebuilt and restored to its former glory.